Random Thoughts of an RD
10 things in my life that I’m loving, thinking about, and that you should just know about.
1) These jeans. holy comfortable. I might start sleeping in them.
2) Reconnecting with old friends. It’s a very good thing. You should reach out to an old friend and get together. I did. And it was more than awesome.
3) Fresh ginger. Lately I can’t get enough. Here’s what i do: peel and cut fresh nobs of ginger into small chunks. Place in a ziplock and freeze. When you’re ready to make a smoothie, grab a few chunks and place in a dish. Add water – enough to just slightly cover. Microwave for 10-30 seconds. The heat, post freeze, will release the fragrant juice. Dump the whole piece of ginger and water into your blender and add to your morning smoothie. Digestion heaven! And your tastebuds will love it too! (works for stirfry’s too!)
4) Brisk-Weather Running. Note the word brisk here. YES, I wore gloves and tights this morning, but still appreciated that no fingers went numb. Love the cold air on my cheeks, watery eyes and warm core. Give me another month and i’ll likely be singing a different tune.
5) “Satisfries” Burger Kings new low-fat french fry. seriously gets under my skin. Here’s my take. If you want a french fry, eat it. And remember it’s a food we eat occasionally, not always. Satisfries encourage poor eating choices, and i’m willing to bet will leave you less satisfied, and actually eating more — but hey, they are low-fat – so no problem getting that second helping, right?
6) Apples. Oh man, the last week John and I got a bag of apples from the farm and they were seriously the best apples I’ve ever eaten. Sometimes apples give me stomachaches but these were so good i didn’t even care! Also, you should read this article about apples and their Superfood properties – even I didn’t know about Quercetin!
7) Bloglovin’. There are WAY to many blogs i want to read for hours in the day I am able to devote to reading them. I’m not sure how, but I’m just now jumping on the blog-reading bandwaggon. It’s amazing. Streamlines all my blogs and lets me be strategic in what i read when i only have 5 minutes (because blog-reading has strategy).
8) Good, crisp, chocolate chip cookies. Not fluffy – flat. Deb’s are honestly the best. If you ask nicely she’ll likely send you a batch too.
9) Skiing. Whistler, Vail, Sugarloaf, I want to go everywhere this year! Who’s in?
10) Maine! I’m headed to Portland for less than 12 hours this weekend…just enough time to laugh with family and run Shore Rd.